Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa), is an old traditional medicine described as ”nature’s speedball”. Used for decades to treat depression, anxiety, and insomnia. In this kratom guide, you’ll not read about the very history of kratom.
If you’re looking for an in-depth guide, check out this post.
This guide covers how to use kratom. The other one covers All the strians and everything else.
Nowadays kratom is also popular for the benefits it offers:
- Natural pain killer
- Improves heart health
- Aid to overcome addictions
- Mood enhancer
- Regulates insulin and glucose (good for diabetes)
- Treat opioid withdrawal
- Low blood pressure
- Weight loss
- Improve communication skills
- Enhance focus and concentration (depending on the vein)
Chances are you want this leaf but need some guide, because there’s a lot of leaves.
First, the important stuff:
The Effects Depends on Color & Source
You can buy kratom online, or plant a tree yourself, and choose between four different strains:
- Red Vein
- White Vein
- Green Vein
- Yellow Vein
- Red can produce opioid effects, it’s sedative and a relaxed vein. (most euphoric)
- White acts like a stimulant that boost energy and concentration. Often used as a nootropic for focus and mental acuity.
- Green acts like red and white, which produce stimulant euphoric effects.
- Yellow is similar to white but produce more energizing effects.
The Source is More Important Than Color
Kratom has different alkaloid concentration, depending on where it’s harvested.
Maeng da is harvested from Thailand.Malay from Malaysia. Maeng da is known for stimulation and focus. Malay is more relaxing.
How to Take
Hard to pinpoint the perfect dose since there’s no official kratom dosage.
If you’re a beginner you should start with a low, but effective dose.
The effects depends heavily on body mass and tolerance.
Many experienced kratom users recommend you increase or decrease by 0.5 gram until you find your ”perfect dose”.
Can Be Taken in Different Ways:
- Tea (add organic honey to improve the taste)
- Place some powder in the mouth and wash it down with water or juice (the toss & wash method)
- Or mix the powder with a drink or yogurt
- Capsule or tincture form
Taking kratom with orange juice activates the alkaloids for stronger effects.
Also, Kratom extract is stronger than standard.
If you place crushed kratom leaf or powder into alcohol and let it soak for days, you get kratom tincture.
All depends on how you decide to take it. Powder, tea, capsule, or other formulas are available.
Most people like powder form, it’s more fun to be in control of your own dose.
Here are some tested and safe kratom doses (powder form):
- 2-4g produce mild stimulant effects
- 4-6 produce medium stimulant, sedative, and pain relieving effects
- 6-8 produce a strong sedative, analgesic effects. This dose might be too much for some people
- 8g or more produce very strong effects. This dose is not recommended
Avoid high doses regularly. This will make sure you have the best kratom experience. And to keep the medical benefits.
Less is more translates to less tolerance and enhanced medical value.
If you decide to take plain leaf you should do so on an empty stomach because the effects arrive quicker.
Low, moderate doses are stimulating and euphoric. Higher doses produce sedating effects.
How Does It Feel to Be on Kratom?
How kratom operates exactly is unknown. But research has discovered the alokids works on the brain in different ways.
Kratom act mainly as an opioid receptor agonist similar to morphine. The effects work very similar to opium and that’s why it’s a substitute for the drug.
How it feels also depends heavily on the source and the different extracts, also known as:
- Kratom Tincture
- Enhanced Leaf
- Reisin Extract
- Water-based extracts
Tincture varies in a method of extraction and potency. If you like this route make sure to get it from a reputable source.
- Easy to use
- Acts fast
- Tolerance builds up fast
- Rarely offers the full kratom effects
Many people use an enhacned leaf to satisfy their extract needs because of high potency and lack of side effects.
Ultra Enhanced Indo is the most popular choice.
- Potent (if done properly)
- Effective for pain
- Lacks side effects
- Can be expensive
- Can cause withdrawal symptoms if you quit abruptly after a prolonged use
- Tolerance builds up fast
Reisin extract has more well-rounded spectrum of effects compared to water-based extraction.
- Easy to use and store
- Full spectrum of effects
- Higher side-effects to potency ratio than plain leaf
- Sensitive to temperature
- More expensive compared to plain leaf
The most common form of kratom. When you shop around, you might see 5x or 10x, this means how much leaf material was used. Important to buy kratom online from a reputable supplier because some might not be 100% honest.
- Dissolves in water
- Few, if no side effects at all compared to the other forms
- Higher alkaloid-concentrated compared to plain leaf
- You can use it in addition to plain life
- Not good for pain or sedation compared to the other ones
- Often more expensive per potency
- Not so effective if not plain leaf is added
Kratom Side Effects & Safety Guidelines
When you start your kratom journey, have a nice one, you might encounter the term ”wobbles”
Woobles describe the most eminent side effect of kratom.
If this occurs, you might have found it difficult to focus your eyes at one specific point without getting annoyed. Wobbles can also cause nausea and headaches.
I recommend you buy magnesium threonate if you’re prone to headaches. This form can deliver magnesium to the brain and also enhance your cognitive performance.
A dose under 5grams won’t produce the wobble effect.
The Bottom Line
Kratom is a nice leaf that can replace many medications.
That said, share your kratom experience below, would love to hear how this leaf changed your life.